I have spent the last few days listening to several Analysts and many TV professionals give their opinions on the state of the TV market both worldwide and in their regions – We as delegates sit and usually suffer death by Powerpoint at these conferences. Sometimes the speakers are good but in the main they are sales pitches and that is tiring…However TVConnect CEE was not that sort of event.
The quality of the material, intensity of the speakers and the reality delivered by all the speakers was very good. What was highlighted is that there is too much ‘noise’ concerning the death of traditional PayTV due to the rise of OTT. This merely shrouds the reality as the following statistics divulge.
- There is a SATURATION of OTT services; that we know
- However PayTV is in GROWTH mode everywhere
- The press needs its daily does of Netflix but Netflix success reality is also somewhat different
- Netflix will build a BIG subscriber base but many of them will be PayTV Subscribers
- In the USA OTT revenue is only circa 9% of PayTV revenues
- The traditional Disc market (DVD & BluRay) annual revenues are higher than OTT
- The THREAT from OTT is OVERSTATED
For the last 5 years OTT has dominated the conversation however OTT has hardly made any impact on traditional services…PayTV was shaken by the entrance of these pretenders to the throne, however it has adapted and continues to react positively in order to change the business to both retain and grow the PayTV customer base.